Powered by www.MyExamPlan.com
4-Year B.Tech. ( Aerospace Engineering ) (60 seats)
4-Year B.Tech. ( Avionics ) (60 seats)
5-Year Dual Degree (B.Tech. + Master of Science/Master of Technology) (20 seats)
The 5-year Dual Degree programme leads to B.Tech. degree in Engineering Physics and any of the following Post-Graduate degree specializations:
(i) Master of Science (Astronomy & Astrophysics) (ii) Master of Technology (Earth System Science) (iii) Master of Science (Solid State Physics) (iv) Master of Technology (Optical Engineering) (There is no exit option at the end of four years).
About IIST (Indian Institute of Space Science & Technology) : IIST, situated at Thiruvananthapuram is a Deemed to be University under Section 3 of the UGC Act 1956. IIST functions as an autonomous body under the Department of Space, Government of India. The idea of such an institute was mooted keeping in mind the need for high quality manpower for the Indian Space Research Organization, one of world’s leading scientific organizations engaged in space research and space applications. The institute is the first of its kind in the country, to offer high quality education at the undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral levels on areas with special focus to space sciences, space technology and space applications. IIST was formally inaugurated on 14 September 2007 by Dr. G. Madhavan Nair, the then Chairman, ISRO and was temporarily housed in the premises of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, very close from where ISRO built and launched its first rocket. Both the founding fathers of the institute, Dr G Madhavan Nair and Dr B.N. Suresh, the latter being the first Director of IIST, played a very important role in the formation of the institute, facilitating its establishment and contributing to its vision. Dr B.N. Suresh piloted the institute from the conception of the idea to its realization in a permanent campus near Thiruvananthapuram in 2010.
Absorption in ISRO/DoS for B.Tech and Dual Degree Students joining IIST : As performance based financial assistance is provided by DOS to the B.Tech. and Dual degree program students of IIST, ISRO/DOS will have the first right to absorb them, subject to the human resource requirements of ISRO/DOS.
The job absorption will be as per the recruitment norms of ISRO/DOS Centres for IIST graduates. To be eligible for absorption in ISRO/DOS, the student should have completed the B.Tech. Programme in four years or the Dual degree programme in five years with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 7.5 out of 10. However, the eligible student(s) will be offered absorption in the order of Merit, only to the extent of vacancies notified by ISRO Headquarters for the purpose of absorption in the year of completion of the course. Students will not have any claim for absorption in ISRO/DOS against the other vacancies or the vacancies notified for absorption occurring thereafter in ISRO/DOS Establishments during subsequent years.
Students who are offered a job in ISRO/DOS are mandated to serve as Scientist/Engineer-‘SC’ in any ISRO/DOS centres for a minimum period of 3 years. On failing to accept the job offer, a student is liable to pay Rs.10 lakhs to IIST/DOS as per the Surety Bond (on a Rs.100/- Non-Judicial paper duly signed by the student, parent and surety) executed at the time of admission to B.Tech. and Dual degree Programmes in IIST. If absorbed, they will be posted as Scientist/Engineer-‘SC’ in any ISRO/DOS Centre. Currently, Scientist/Engineer- ‘SC’ is placed in Level 10 of the Central Government 7th pay commission Pay Matrix Table. The basic emoluments at present will be approximately Rs. 56,100/- p.m. In addition, House Rent Allowance [HRA] and Transport Allowance at the prescribed rates in force at the place of posting are applicable. The employees will be governed by the National Pension System. Other facilities are available such as medical facilities for self and dependants, Leave Travel Concession Group Insurance, etc.
Admission : Candidates aspiring to join the above programmes must appear for JEE-Adv-2018 conducted by IITs.
Separate application for IIST : IIST Admission Rank list will be generated only for those candidates who register online for admission to IIST and satisfy all the eligibility criteria. IIST Admission Rank list will be prepared based on their JEE-Adv-2018 marks.
Eligibility for Admissions to Undergraduate Programmes
(a) Citizenship : Only Indian citizens are eligible to apply for admission in IIST.
(b) Date of Birth : Candidates belonging to General category (GEN) and Other Backward Classes (OBC) categories must have been born on or after October 1, 1993. Candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PD) categories must have born on or after October 1, 1988.
The date of birth as recorded in the high school/first Board /or its equivalent will be accepted. If the certificate does not mention the date of birth, candidate must submit an authenticated document from competent authority indicating the date of birth at the time of Counselling.
(c) Qualifying Examination (10+2 or Equivalent)
Must have secured at least 75% aggregate marks in the Class XII (or equivalent) Board examination. The aggregate marks for SC, ST and PD candidates should be at least 65%. The marks scored in the following five subjects will be considered for calculating the aggregate marks criterion.
- A language (if the candidate has taken more than one language, then the language with the higher marks will be considered)
Any subject other than the above four (the subject with the highest marks will be considered)
Qualifying examination should be any of the following:
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by any recognized Central/State Board, such as Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi; Council for Indian School Certificate Examination (ISCE), New Delhi, etc., recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized Board/University.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- Vocational Higher Secondary Examination.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/Board/University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London / Cambridge /Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
In case the relevant qualifying examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination at an earlier level.
(d) Marks scored in JEE-Adv-2018 Examination
Candidates who are desirous to join B.Tech. Programmes in IIST must appear for the Joint Entrance Examination (Main)-2018 conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi to qualify themselves to appear for Joint JEE-Adv-2018 conducted by IITs and secure the minimum prescribed category-wise marks in JEE-Adv-2018 as given below
- General Candidates (GEN): At least 20% marks in aggregate and at least 5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics).
- Other Backward Community – Non Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL) Candidates: At least 18% marks in aggregate and at least 4.5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)
- Scheduled Caste(SC), Scheduled Tribe(ST) & Persons with Disabilities(PD) Candidates: At least 10%marks in aggregate and at least 2.5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics).
Release of admission brochure : 2 May 2018
Opening of online registration : 22 May 2018
Closing of online registration : 5 June 2018
Details of IIST B.Tech Admission (2017) : Opening & Closing Percentage of JEE Advanced 2017 marks are provided below for reference :
B.Tech (Aerospace Engineering) B.Tech (Avionics) Dual Degree
Open Close Open Close Open Close
General 64.21 53.83 60.93 52.19 60.38 54.37
OBC 53.55 44.81 44.81 42.08 44.54 42.35
SC 33.88 30.60 34.15 27.05 41.53 28.96
ST 29.51 20.22 28.96 20.22 22.40 20.22