Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-Madras) offers a 5-Year Intergrated M.A. in two streams for students after Class XII -
a) Development Studies and
b) English Studies
The first two years of the curriculum are common to all students after which, they branch out into the two streams. Allocation of streams will be based on students' performance during the first three semesters as well as their preferences. Admissions to these two streams is via the Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) usually held in the month of April.
The program is offered by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) at IIT-M. The department is essentially multi-disciplinary in nature and has faculty from diversestreams, such as Development Studies, Economics, English, Environmental Studies, FilmStudies, Health Studies, History, International Relations, Philosophy, Politics, and Sociology. The Ingtrated M.A. programme has been offered since 2006-07.
Development Studies: This stream addresses questions of "order and change" in a globalizing world and aims to explore available approaches to fostering development, understood broadly as the goal of providing people the freedom to make their lives better.
English Studies: The English Studies stream has been designed for students with sensitivity for literary and linguistic analyses.
Distinctive Features of the Program:
1) A very distinctive feature of the programme is the involvement of the Engineering, Sciences and Management facultie s in offering innovative courses in collaboration with the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences.
2) The programme imparts substantial knowledge of Indian economy, literature, philosophy, culture, society, and public policy. It provides opportunities for learning a foreign language. Currently German, French and Chinese are offered.
Development Studies: 23 seats
English Studies: 23 seats
- A common rank list made up of candidates who score at least 50% in HSEE-2020. Separate rank-lists will be prepared corresponding to EN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC. ST and PwD categories.
- Candidates belonging to GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL must score at least 45% in HSEE-2020
- Candidates belonging to SC and ST categories must score at least 25% in HSEE-2020 in order to be in their respective rank lists.
- To be in the PwD rank list, candidates must score at least 25% in HSEE-2020 in aggregate.
One time payment: Rs. 3,550/-
Semester Fees: 11,400/-
Refundable Caution Deposit: Rs. 2,000/-
Estt 'A' charges: Rs. 6,000/-
Gymkhana Fee: Rs. 1,500/-
MEdical Insurance Premium: Rs. 1,600/-
Refundable Hostel Deposit: Rs. 3,000/-
Hostel & Other Fee per semester: 21,115/-