Admission to IIITs - All Your doubts Cleared
Are the IITs same as the IIITs? Are the Indian Institute of Information Technology same as the International Institute of Information Technology? How to get admission into IIITs? What is the application procedure to get into IIITs? We decided to unravel these mysteries for you.
India has 29 institutions that have the abbreviation IIIT. But these are predominantly can be grouped into three major categories:
- Those that are run by MHRD and are Institutes of National Importance (5 institues)
- Those that are run under a Private-Public-Partnership PPP model and are Institutes of National Importance (19 institutes)
- Those that are predominantly a Deemed University, State University or are Private Institutions (6 institutes)
IIITs in categories 1 and 2 above are called the Indian Institute of Information Technology.
IIITs under MHRD: ABV-IIITM Gwalior, IIIT Allahabad, IIIT Design & Manufacturing Jabalpur, IIIT Design & Manufacturing Kancheepuram, IIIT Design & Manufacturing Kurnool
IIITs run under PPP model: IIIT Sri City, IIIT Guwahati, IIIT Vadodara, IIIT Kota, IIIT Tiruchirappalli, IIIT Una, IIIT Sonepat, IIIT Kalyani, IIIT Lucknow, IIIT Dharwad, IIIT Kottayam, IIIT Manipur, IIIT Nagpur, IIIT Pune, IIIT Ranchi, IIIT Surat, IIIT Bhopal, IIIT Bhagalpur
Admission Procedure to above IIITs: Admission to these 24 institutes are via the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) set up by the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) to manage and regulate the joint seat allocation for admissions to over 100 institutes. The primary qualification is to have written the JEE Main 2019 entrance exam. The IIITs in these two groups have also been given the honour of being Institutes of National Importance (INI) like the IITs, i.e., they are free to grant own degrees and don't need the approval of UGC for this).
On the other hand, all (except one) of the IIITs in the third category are named as International Institute of Information Technology have no uniform admission criteria. Some of them, like IIIT Hyderabad have a mix of entrance exams, JEE Main rank and KVPY, others rely on JEE Main rank but conduct their own counseling for seat allotment. Given below are admission process of the 5 International Institute of Information Technology institutes. The last institute is called Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology Delhi.
- IIIT Bhubaneswar: JoSAAA for All India Quota & own counseling for Odisha candidates
- IIIT, Hyderabad: Own Entrance Exam, JEE (Main), Special Channel, KVPY/Olympiad (click for details of IIIT-H entrance exam here)
- IIIT Naya Raipur: 35% are reserved for all India category via JoSAA, 15% seats reserved wards of NTPC employees, 50% seats reserved for students who have passed 10th & 12th from the State of Chhattisgarh.
- IIIT Bangalore: Own counselling through JEE (Main) Score
- IIIT Pune: Through Maharashtra DTE Centralized Admission Process (CAP) after writing MHT-CET
- IIIT Delhi: Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology. Admission through Delhi state Joint Admission Council JAC, through UCEEED Score (non-science students can apply), through Class 12 marks (non-science students can apply)
If you found this information useful do share this blog with your friends and in your social media.
Data compiled by the MyExamPlan research team. (c) 2019 Thinkrucible Solutions Pvt Ltd & www.myexamplan.com