Programs offered: 4 Year B.Des Bachelor of Design (at NID Ahmadabad & its Bengaluru & Gandhinagar campuses) and
4 Year GDPD Graduate Diploma Program in Design (at NID AP, NID Haryana, NID Assam & NID MP)
National Institute of Design, Ahmadabad and at its Bengaluru & Gandhinagar campuses is an Institute of National Importance under the DIPP, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India. It is internationally acclaimed as one of the finest educational and research institutions for Industrial, Communication, Textile and IT Integrated (Experiential) Design. As per the NID Act (18 of 2014), the institute is a statutory authority empowered to award its own degrees.
NID Andhra Pradesh, NID Haryana, NID Assam and NID Madhya Pradesh are independent autonomous institutes under the DIPP, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India and offers four-year long Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD).
NID AP is operating out of temporary campus at Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur (A.P.). The new campus is coming up at the new capital of AP - Amravati.
NID Assam is located in Jorhat
NID Haryana is located in Kurukshetra
NID MP is located in Bhopal
Admission to all of the design courses will be granted on the basis of a two-stage competitive exam. :
Stage 1: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims will be conducted at various test centres across India (See Test Centres section). Candidates should note that appearing for the DAT Prelims or being ranked in the shortlist does not guarantee automatic entitlement to admission.
Stage 2: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Mains Candidates shortlisted after the DAT Prelims will be invited to appear for the Stage 2 DAT Main exams at NID’s campuses in Ahmadabad, Bengaluru, Gandhinagar, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Assam.
4-Year Bachelor of Design Programme offered at NID Ahmadabad campus (125 seats)
Faculty of Industrial Design
- Product Design (19 seats)
- Furniture & Interior Design(13 seats)
- Ceramic & Glass Design (13 seats)
Faculty of Communication Design
- Animation Film Design (19 seats)
- Film & Video Communication (13 seats)
- Exhibition Design (13 seats)
- Graphic Design (19 seats)
Faculty of Textile, Apparel, Lifestyle & Accessory Design
- Textile, Apparel & Lifestyle Accessory Design (19 seats)
4-Year Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD) offered at NID AP, NID MP, NID Assam & NID Haryana (75 seats at each campus)
- Industrial Design
- Communication Design
- Textile & Apparel Design
- Gen: 40.5%, Gen-EWS: 10% OBC-NCL: 27%, SC: 15%, ST: 7.5%
- 5% horizontal reservation for Persons with Disability (PwD)
- 15% supernumerary seats (i.e. over & above the seats for Indian nationals) for foreign citizens under overseas category. The supernumerary seats for foreign nationals are only available for the B.Des program in NID Ahmadabad. Candidates holding OCI & PIO cards can apply only under the overseas category. NRIs cannot apply under overseas category and will need to apply as Indian nationals.
Tuition Fee for 1st Year (i.e. 2-semesters):
NID Ahmadabad: Rs.300,700
NID AP: Rs.175,00
NID Assam: Rs.185,00
NID Haryana: Rs.187,00
NID MP: Rs.175,00
Plus a student refundable deposit:
Rs.10,000 shall be charged in the 1st year by each institute as a refundable deposit.
NID Ahmadabad: Rs.15,000 per year (not including mess charges)
NID Haryana: Rs.31,600 per year (not including mess charges)
Details of hostel charges for other NIDs will be shared subsequently by the institutes.