Programs offered: 3 year Bachelor of Arts (B.Sc.) in Biology, Physics or Mathematics & 4 year Dual Degree B.Sc. B.Ed. (Biology or Physics or Mathematics)
Azim Premji University (APU) is a Private university located in Bengaluru. The university has 5 schools and centres : School of Education, School of Development, School of Policy & Governance, School of Liberal Studies, School of Continuing Education & Univ Resource Centre.
Like in western universities, Azim Premji University, follows the credit score approach, wherein specializations are offered through a combination of Majors and Minors to build disciplinary knowledge and appreciate the subject.
1. Course Structure: 84 credits (96 credits for Honours program)
2. All students will be required to complete a total of 36 credits as part of the common curriculum which includes Foundation, Understanding India, and Creative Expressions.
3. Specialization credits required: 48
Students studying Physics or Biology as a major, will take up 8 core courses and 3 electives. (33 credits)
Students studying Physics or Biology as a minor, will take up 4 core courses and 1 elective course. (15 credits)
4. Students can take up additional research work and get an Honours degree. Honours project is designed for Students to be able to apply their knowledge in a synthesized piece of work. An honours thesis will involve working closely with a faculty member on a specific topic, developing a research question and writing up a thesis.
5. The students can also apply for a dual degree B.Sc. B.Ed. Program. This is a 4 year, full time, dual degree programme consisting of 120 credits in Science and Education that award a B.Sc. B.Ed. degree. The dual degree programme consist of Common Curriculum, Disciplinary courses (Life sciences, Physical Sciences or Mathematics) and Courses in Education.
Core courses in Physics:
A Physicist's Toolkit, Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Waves, Modern Physics, Mathematical methods, Thermal Physics, Quantum Mechanics
Electives in Physics:
Electronics, Dynamic Systems with simulations, Biophysics, Advanced Mechanics, Optics, and Astronomy.
Core courses in Biology:
Introductory Biology: From Molecules to Ecosystems, Introduction to Biological Data and Programming, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry , Evolution and Ecology, Introduction to Bio-statistics, Plants and their Interactions, Cell and Developmental Biology, Introduction to Genetics
Electives in Biology:
Field Biology, Animal Behaviour, Neurobiology, Cancer, Advanced Bio- statistics
B.Sc. in Mathematics is a new programme that starts from academic year 2019.
Students are expected to declare their preferred major at the time of application, as the selection process will happen accordingly. Minor will be declared at end of the second semester.
Selection is via an Entrance Test and Interview. There are two application windows followed by the University: The Early Admission process (apply by Dec and selection by Jan) the Regular Admission process (apply by April and selection by May) .
Overall, the programme is unique in offering both breadth of engagement through the Common Curriculum and disciplinary depth through the Specializations. The programme combines conceptual knowledge with practical engagement and understanding that has relevant real world application.
Tuition fee: Rs. 1,40,000/- per annum
Accomodation: Rs. 96,000/- per annum
Food: Rs. 50,000/- (approx) per annum
- The fourth year Tuition fee for the dual degree programme has been waived off.
- There is no other fee or deposit charged for library, laboratory, IT facilities, examinations, books, etc.
- Accommodation charges include charges for transport between the University and the accommodation, internet connectivity, other facilities provided at the accommodation.
- Accommodation and food facilities are provided only during the semester and will not be available during the breaks and vacations.
- Students are covered under the student insurance scheme at no additional cost.
Family income bands of up to 12 lakhs per annum will be considered for various categories of scholarship. This may include:
Full waiver of Tuition fee, Accommodation and Food charges in exceptional circumstances
Full or Partial waiver of Tuition fee and Accommodation charge
Partial waiver of Tuition fee