Program offered: 3 year Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Economics
Azim Premji University (APU) is a Private university located in Bengaluru. The university has 5 schools and centres : School of Education, School of Development, School of Policy & Governance, School of Liberal Studies, School of Continuing Education & Univ Resource Centre.
Like in western universities, Azim Premji University, follows the credit score approach, wherein specializations are offered through a combination of Majors and Minors to build disciplinary knowledge and appreciate the subject.
1. Course Strcuture: 84 credits (96 credits for Honours program)
2. All students will be required to complete a total of 36 credits as part of the common curriculum which includes Foundation, Understanding India, and Creative Expressions.
3. Specialization credits required: 48
- For B.A. in Economics, the major will consist of gaining a strong understanding of Indian Economy theory, tools of analysis and practical applications of these skills to current economic issues.
4. Students can take up additional research work and get an Honours degree. Honours project is designed for Students to be able to apply their knowledge in a synthesized piece of work. An honours thesis will involve working closely with a faculty member on a specific topic, developing a research question and writing up a thesis.
Core courses in Economics:
Introduction to Ecopnomics -1, Introduction to Ecopnomics -2, Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Mathematical and Statistical Methods, Economic History or Indian Economic History
Electives in Economics:
Political Economy of India, Economic Approaches to Environmental Problems, Economics of Education, Economic History or Indian Economic History.
Students are expected to declare their preferred major at the time of application, as the selection process will happen accordingly. Minor will be declared at end of the second semester.
Selection is via an Entrance Test and Interview. There are two application windows followed by the University: The Early Admission process (apply by Dec and selection by Jan) the Regular Admission process (apply by April and selection by May) .
Overall, the programme is unique in offering both breadth of engagement through the Common Curriculum and disciplinary depth through the Specializations. The programme combines conceptual knowledge with practical engagement and understanding that has relevant real world application.
Tuition fee: Rs. 1,40,000/- per annum
Accomodation: Rs. 96,000/- per annum
Food: Rs. 50,000/- (approx) per annum
- There is no other fee or deposit charged for library, laboratory, IT facilities, examinations, books, etc.
- Accommodation charges include charges for transport between the University and the accommodation, internet connectivity, other facilities provided at the accommodation.
- Accommodation and food facilities are provided only during the semester and will not be available during the breaks and vacations.
- Students are covered under the student insurance scheme at no additional cost.
Family income bands of up to 12 lakhs per annum will be considered for various categories of scholarship. This may include:
Full waiver of Tuition fee, Accommodation and Food charges in exceptional circumstances
Full or Partial waiver of Tuition fee and Accommodation charge
Partial waiver of Tuition fee