IIST starts 2020 counselling process2020-09-27
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, a Deemed to be University, invites applications for admission in its niche Technical UG and Integrated UG-PG degree courses. The admissions shall be based on an independent merit list prepared by the institute taking into account JEE-Adv-2020 performance.
Courses & Intake
a) B. Tech in Aerospace Engineering (60 seats + 6 for EWS + 2 for Jammu & Kashmir students)
b) B. Tech in Electronics and Communication Engineering (Avionics) (60 seats + 6 for EWS + 3 for Jammu & Kashmir students)
c) Dual Degree (B.Tech in Engineering Physics + Master of Science/ M.Tech) in one of the
following (20 seats + 26 for EWS) :
- Master of Science in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Master of Science in Solid State Physics
- M. Tech in Earth System Science
- M. Tech in Optical Engineering
Preparation of IIST Admission Rank List
- Category-wise IIST Admission Rank List will be generated ONLY for those eligible candidates who are successfully registered online through IIST portal and have paid the Registration Fee.
- IIST Admission Rank List will be prepared based on the aggregate marks scored in JEE-Adv-2020 Examination subject to satisfying the minimum marks prescribed.
About IIST (Indian Institute of Space Science & Technology) : Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), situated at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, is a Deemed to be University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956. IIST, established in 2007, functions as an autonomous institution under the Department of Space (DoS), Government of India. IIST was conceived with a vision to nurture exceptional manpower for the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), one of world’s leading scientific organizations engaged in space research and space applications. The institute is the first of its kind in the country to offer high quality education at the undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and post doctoral levels on areas with special focus towards space sciences, space technology and space applications.
Equipped with excellent infrastructure and about 100 highly qualified faculty members, IIST has, within a decade of its inception, risen to great heights. It is ranked among the top 35 Engineering institutes of the country according to 2020 NIRF rankings of MHRD with a high score of more than 75% in Teaching, Learning and Resources which is a whole lot better than many premier institutes in the country. The institute currently offers three undergraduate and fifteen postgraduate programmes.
Absorption in ISRO : Based on notified vacancies in different specializations, by ISRO, undergraduate and Dual Degree students will be absorbed as Scientist/ Engineer-SC, subject to fulfilment of the following conditions applicable to ALL categories of students :
(1) Students should successfully complete the B.Tech and Dual Degree Programmes in 4 (four) and 5 (five) years, respectively.
(2) Students should secure minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 7.5 (on a scale of 10) at the end of B.Tech and Dual Degree Programmes.
(3) Students are required to be fully medically fit as per ISRO norms.
DoS Financial Assistance : DoS offers performance (Semester Grade Point Average–SGPA) based financial assistance to all undergraduate and Dual Degree students. It is mandatory for the students to avail this financial assistance. Students and their parent are required to sign a surety bond [see Section 7 (2)/ 7(3)] for the same at the time of joining IIST.
The financial assistance scheme per semester is detailed below :
General / EWS / OBC-NCL : Rs.48,400 per sem (for scoring SGPA >= 7.5)
SC / ST / PD : Rs.48,400 per sem (for scoring SGPA >= 6.5) and Rs.20,000 per sem ( (for scoring SGPA >=5.5 but < 6.5)
(1) Citizenship : Only Indian citizens are eligible to apply for admission in IIST.
(2) Date of Birth : Candidates belonging to General, EWS and OBC-NCL categories must have been born on or after October 1, 1995. Candidates belonging to SC/ ST and PD categories must have born on or after October 1, 1990.
The date of birth as recorded in the certificate of high school/ first Board/ or its equivalent will be accepted. If the certificate does not mention the date of birth, candidate must, at the time of accepting the seat, submit an authenticated document from a competent authority indicating the same.
(3) Minimum Marks Requirement in Qualifying Examination : Keeping in mind the pandemic situation prevailing in the country, IIST UG Admission 2020 has relaxed this criterion. In line with the decision taken by the Central Seat Allocation Board and the IITs, candidates are now required to only qualify in one of the examinations listed below. This modification is done for the year 2020 only.
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by any recognized central/ State Board, such as Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi; Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi; etc.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized Board/ University.
Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London/ Cambridge/ Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
(4) Minimum Marks Requirement in JEE-Adv-2020 Examination : Candidates should have appeared for the Joint Entrance Examination (Main)-2020 conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA), to qualify themselves to appear for the Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced)-2020 conducted by IITs and secure the minimum prescribed marks as given below:
a) General : At least 20% marks in aggregate and at least 5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)
b) EWS / OBC-NCL : At least 18% marks in aggregate and at least 4.5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)
c) SC / ST / PD : At least 10% marks in aggregate and at least 2.5% marks in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)
Application procedure : Candidates who are desirous to join the Undergraduate and Dual Degree Programmes offered by IIST are required to apply separately to IIST through the online application portal (http://admission.iist.ac.in) and follow the steps detailed therein.
Application fee is Rs.600 for Gen/EWS/OBC-NCL, Rs300 for SC/ST/PD and all female candidates
Opening of Online Registration and Filling-in of Branch Preferences : 27 Sep 2020 (5PM)
Closing of online registration : 7 Oct 2020 (3PM)
Publication of IIST rank list : 8 Oct 2020 (5PM)
Closing date for Modification of Branch Preferences : 9 Oct 2020 (12Noon)
Start of Seat Allotment / Acceptance rounds : 10 Oct 2020 (tentative date)
Joining IIST : 2 Nov 2020 (reporting at 10AM)
Spot admissions notification, if required (in case of vacancies) : 2 Nov 2020 (3PM)