Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is conducting the NDA & Naval Academy Exam for admission to
(1) the Army, Navy and Air Force wings of the National Defence Academy (NDA) in Khadakvasla, Pune into its 144th course and
(2) 106th Indian Naval Academy Course (INAC) under the 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme
All the cadets on passing out will be awarded degrees from Jawaharlal Nehru University Delhi as under:-
(a) Army Cadets - B.Sc/ B.Sc (Computer)/ B.A
(b) Naval Cadets - B. Tech Degree*
(c) Air Force Cadets - B. Tech Degree*/ B.Sc / B.Sc (Computer)
*All the cadets undergoing B.Sc / B.SC(Computer)/ BA Degree programme shall be awarded the degree on the successful completion of Academics, Physical and Service Training at NDA. All the cadets undergoing B Tech programme shall be awarded the B.Tech degree on the subsequent Pre Commissioning Training Academies / Institutions / Ships / Air Craft.
No. of seats:
NDA: Total 370 seats of which
Army: 208 seats
Air Force: 120 seats
Navy: 42 seats
Naval Academy (B.Tech under 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme): 45 seats
- Written Test: UPSc shall prepare a list of of candidates who obtain the minimum qualifying marks in the written examination. Min qualifying marks will be decided by UPSC.
- Candidates shortlisted from written test shall undergo a two stage selection process: They will need to appear before a Services Selection Board (SSB) for Intelligence and Personality Test where
(i) candidates for the Army/Navy wings of the NDA and 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme of Indian Naval Academy will be assessed on Officers Potentiality Test and
(ii) those for the Air Force in addition to the above will have to qualify the Computerised Pilot Selection System (CPSS).
- The qualified candidates will then be placed in a single combined list on the basis of total marks secured by them in the Written Examination and the Services Selection Board Tests. The final allocation/selection for admission to the Army, Navy, Air Force of the National Defence Academy and 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme of Indian Naval Academy will be made upto the number of vacancies available subject to eligibility, medical fitness and merit-cum-preference of the candidates.
- SSB interview for the candidates qualified in the written examination will be held during the months of January 2020 to April 2020
Career paths in NDA(army, Navy, Air Force):
- The selected candidates for the three services, viz., Army, Navy and Air Force are given preliminary training both academic and physical for a period of 3 years at the National Defence Academy which is an Inter-Service Institution. The training during the first two and half years is common to the cadets of three wings.
- On passing out from the National Defence Academy,
a) Army Cadets go to the Indian Military Academy, Dehra Dun. At the I.M.A. Army Cadets are known as Gentlemen Cadets and are given strenuous military training for a period of one year aimed at turning them into officer capable of leading infantry Sub-units. On successful completion of training Gentlemen Cadets are granted Permanent Commission in the rank of Lt subject to being medically fit in "SHAPE" one.
b) Naval Cadets to Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala (Kerala) for a period of one year on successful completion of which they are promoted to the rank of
c) Air Force cadets to Air Force Academy, Hyderabad where they receive flying training for a period of one and half years. However, at the end of 1 year of training they are given provisional Commission in the rank of Flying Officer. After successful completion of further training of six months they are absorbed as permanent commissioned officers on probation for a period of one year.
Career paths in candidates admitted in the 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme of the Naval Academy:
- Selected candidates for the Naval Academy under (10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme) will be inducted as Cadets for four year B.Tech course in Applied Electronics & Communication Engineering (for Executive Branch), Mechanical Engineering (for Engineering Branch including Naval Architect specialization) or Electronics & Communication Engineering (for Electrical Branch) as per Naval requirements. On completion of the course, B. Tech Degree will be awarded by Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU).
Expenses at the time of joining the NDA:
Candidates finally selected for training at the Academy will be required to deposit the following amount with the Commandant, National Defence Academy, on their arrival there :—
(a) Pocket allowance for five months @ Rs. 3000.00 per month : Rs. 15000.00
(b) For items of clothing and equipment Rs. 21720.00
(c) Army Group Insurance Fund Rs. 6400.00
(d) Incidental Expenditure during 1st Semester Rs. 7516.00
Total: Rs. 50636.00