For 2019, only application date and exam date has been notified. Rest of the information provided here pertains to 2018 and shall be updated once published by UPSC.
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts the NDA & Naval Academy Exam in April for admission to
(1) the Army, Navy and Air Force wings of the National Defence Academy (NDA) in Khadakvasla, Pune into its 142nd course and
(2) 104th Indian Naval Academy Course (INAC).
The candidates joining NDA (Army, Air Force and Naval wings) on passing out will be awarded B.Sc./B. Sc. (Computer)/B.A. degree from Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi.
The candidates joining Indian Naval Academy would undergo 4 years B. Tech Course and would be given an opportunity to join Executive and Technical Branches of the Navy subject to availability of vacancies.
No. of seats:
NDA: Total 360 seats of which
Army: 208 seats
Air Force: 92 seats
Navy: 60 seats
Naval Academy (B.Tech): 55 seats
- Written Test: UPSc shall prepare a list of of candidates who obtain the minimum qualifying marks in the written examination. Min qualifying marks will be decided by UPSC.
- Candidates shortlisted from written test shall undergo a two stage selection process: They will need to appear before a Services Selection Board (SSB) for Intelligence and Personality Test where
(i) candidates for the Army/Navy wings of the NDA and 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme of Indian Naval Academy will be assessed on Officers Potentiality Test and
(ii) those for the Air Force in Computerised Pilot Selection System (CPSS) and Pilot Aptitude Test (which forms the whole PAB Test) and for Officers Potentiality Test.
- The qualified candidates will then be placed in a single combined list on the basis of total marks secured by them in the Written Examination and the Services Selection Board Tests. The final allocation/selection for admission to the Army, Navy, Air Force of the National Defence Academy and 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme of Indian Naval Academy will be made upto the number of vacancies available subject to eligibility, medical fitness and merit-cum-preference of the candidates.
- SSB interview for the candidates qualified in the written examination will be held during the months of September to October
Career paths in NDA(army, Navy, Air Force) & Naval Academy:
- The selected candidates for the three services, viz., Army, Navy and Air Force are given preliminary training both academic and physical for a period of 3 years at the National Defence Academy which is an Inter-Service Institution. The training during the first two and half years is common to the cadets of three wings.
- The selected candidates of the Naval Academy will be given preliminary training both academic and physical, for a period of 04 years at Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala (Kerala). The cadets will be awarded a B. Tech Degree on successful completion of training.
- On passing out from the National Defence Academy,
a) Army Cadets go to the Indian Military Academy, Dehra Dun
b) Naval Cadets to Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala (Kerala) and
c) Air Force cadets to Air Force Academy, Hyderabad.
- At the I.M.A. Army Cadets are known as Gentlemen Cadets and are given strenuous military training for a period of one year aimed at turning officer capable of leading infantry Sub-units. On successful completion of training Gentlemen Cadets are granted Permanent Commission in the rank of Lt subject to being medically fit in "SHAPE" one.
- The Naval cadets are selected for the Executive Branch of the Navy, on passing out from the National Defence Academy and are given further training at Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala, Kerala for a period of one year on successful completion of which they are promoted to the rank of Sub Lieutenants.
- Air Force Cadets receive flying training for a period of 1.5 years. However, at the end of 1 year of training they are given provisional Commission in the rank of Flying Officer. After successful completion of further training of six months they are absorbed as permanent commissioned officers on probation for a period of one year.