7 Careers Options with a Geography Degree2020-02-08
What is common between Marco Polo, Vasco da Gama, Amerigo Vespucci and Christopher Columbus? All of them were great explorers of their time. And to explore the world they would have had to understand Geography well. Imagine the world today without the science of Geography! We would, most likely, be living in small units of civilizations without interacting with rest of the world. Inventions would not reach other places and perhaps we would not have had the industrial revolution or even the world as we know today. Thus, what we are today, to a large extent is because of the science of Geography that allowed people and civilizations to understand our world better from a physical cartographic perspective.
Geography and its relevance from a career path
Geography offers students great number of opportunities from a career perspective:
- Cartographer - Cartography is the study and practice of making maps. The modern cartographer is trained at taking raw digital (or satellite) data and transforming it into a useful, accurate, and attractive maps related to land, sea and air intended for use across various industries.
- Geologist - A geologist is a scientist who studies the solid, liquid, and gaseous matter that constitutes the Earth and other terrestrial planets, as well as the processes that shape them.
- Environmental Scientist - Environmental scientists conduct research to identify, control, or eliminate sources of pollutants or hazards affecting the environment or public health. A thorough understanding of Geography is necessary to link environmental impact to changes in earth's physical conditions.
- Town Planner - They design new cities and towns, help draft urban regulations, drive land planning and conservation and help make schemes wherein communities can live sustainably with the environment.
- GIS & Remote Sensing Scientist - GIS scientist captures, stores, manipulates, analyzes, manages, and presents spatial or geographic data that can be used for various civilian and military applications. Remote Sensing Scientists apply GIS to analyze data and solve problems in areas such as natural resource management, urban planning, or for interior security. A strong background of Geography is preferred to get into this field.
- Landscape Architect - A landscape artist or architect designs outdoor areas, landmarks, and structures to meet environmental, social-behavioral, or aesthetic requirements. A strong spatial sense and knowledge of Geography helps in charting a career in this direction.
- Academician / Researchers / Teacher - One can take up teaching Geography in schools, colleges, Universities or take up research work in higher educational institutions or research organizations.
Great places for pursuing geography majors after Class XII:
1. BHU Main Campus (Male & Female): B. A. (Hons.) Social Science: Economics, History, Political Science, Sociology, Psychology, Mathematics, Statistics, Geography. Via BHU UET
2. Central University of Karnataka: Integrated M.Sc. in Geography: Via CUCET Entrance
3. Central University of Rajasthan: Integrated M.Sc. in Environmental Science: Via CUCET Entrance
4. Delhi University: BA (Hons) in Geography : based on Class 12 Merit
5. Jadavpur University: B.Sc.in Geography: based on Class 12 Merit
6. Presidency University: B.Sc. in Geography: Via PUBDET (conducted by WBJEE)
7. University of Hyderabad: Integrated M.Sc. in Earth Sciences: Via UoH Entrance Test
8. University of Allahabad: B.Sc. in Geography: Via UGAT conducted by the University
9. Pondicherry Univ : 5 Year Integrated MSc in Applied Geology : Via its own Entrance Test
10. Lucknow Univ : BA (H) Geography under Self Finance scheme : Via LU’s Entrance Exam
11. Jamia Millia Islamia : BA / BSc (H) Geography : Jamia Entrance Test