A Career in Sports in India
Think sports and we would today think of Virat Kohli, P V Sindhu, Sardar Singh, Neeraj Chopra and the linkes. Sports, which essentially only meant cricket in India until a decade ago is now changing fast. Tennis, badminiton, golf, boxing, hockey, javelin throw, kabaddi etc. have become professional sports. Essentially, sports could become a source of livelihood in India, if one has the talent and determination.
So, what does the domain of sports offer for an aspiring student today? Let us examine a few options.
I. Becoming a professional sportsperson is an obvious option, students can look at becoming physical education trainers, fitness experts, and coaches. Some options for pursuing a career in these lines are:
- National Sports University Society, Imphal (Manipur) offers B.Sc. in Sports Coaching (under Ministry of Youth Affairs, GoI) https://www.yas.nic.in/
- Swarnim Gujarat Sports Univ, Gandhinagar (State Univ) offers B.Sc. in Sports Coaching, B.P.Ed and M.A. in Sports Journalism and Mass Media Technology https://sgsu.gujarat.gov.in/
- Tamil Nadu Physical Education & Sports University, Chennai (State Univ) http://www.tnpesu.org/
- Centre for Sports Science, under Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai (Deemed to be University) offers B.Sc. in Sports & Exercise Sciences https://www.csstrucoach.in/
- Lakshmibai National Insititute of Physical Education, Gwalior (Deemed Univ under Min of Education & Culture, GoI) offers B.A. (Program) Sports & Performance & also 4 year B.P.Ed (after Class 12) http://www.lnipe.edu.in/default.html
- The Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education (LNCPE), Thiruvananthapuram is part of Sports Authority of India and offers 2 Year B.P.Ed (after graduation)and MPhil programs http://lncpe.gov.in/
II. Sports medicine - This is also an emerging and lucrative option in the sports injury ad rejuvination segment. Typically one pursues an MBBS followed by a specialization leading to MD in Sports Medicine or Orthopaedic Surgeons. This career line would require one to take up UG-NEET followed by PG-NEET.
Another option would be to pursue programs in physiotherapy, yoga, occupational therapy etc. A few good BPT (bachelor in physiotherapy programs are offered at KMC Manipal, KEM Mumbai, MGU Medical College Kottayam, JSS College of Physiotherpay Mysuru, GGSIPU Delhi, K.J. Somaiya College of Physiotherapy & Research Centre etc.
III. Sports Management - Most people would club this under the sunrise sector. Currently in its infancy, these careers are increasingly become relevant today. A few recommended ones for Sports Management are:
- Bachelors in Sports Management offered by International Institute of Sports Management (IISM), Mumbai. Degree is recognized by Univ of Mumbai. Admissions via Entrance Exam. http://www.iismworld.com/ . Master of Sports Management offered as PG program
- National Academy of Sports Management (NASM) offers Bachelor in Management Studies (BMS) in Sports Management (Univ of Mumbai). Admissions via application form after Class 12. No entrance until last year. http://www.nasm.edu.in/ . MBA also offered under PG programs
- Symbiosis Institute of Sports Management offers only MBA in Sports Management (No UG program). https://www.ssss.edu.in/
Hope you found this bit of information useful. In time we will be happy to share more such inights in the domain of sports, sports medicine and sports management.